Label: Challenge Jazz
Catalog number: CHR 70177
The music of this trio is founded in a solid knowledge of the tradition of jazz. But it also encapsulates a fresh approach to this old musical form – resulting in a lyrical and melancholic, yet at the same time energetic and intense sound.
- Tomorrow is a debut for trio of Wolff/Angiuli/Fryland on Challenge Jazz
- Wolff studied piano with Juraj Stanik, Rob van Kreeveld and Albert Brussee
- In 2009 he graduated with honors from the conservatory of the Hague
- He also studied privately with Brad Mehldau in New York City
- Walter' has a refined feel for harmony as well as strong and lyrical treatment of melodies
- He has earned him the reputation as one of the most exciting and original musicians on the younger Dutch jazz scene today
- In 2007 he was a finalist and the third price winner at the YPF jazz piano competition and in 2009 he received the prestigious Leidse Jazz Award
- Walter has shared the stage with many top musicians such as Teddy Charles, John Ruocco, Philip Harper, Eef van Breen, Michel Varekamp, Brice Soniano and others
The music of Wolff/Angiuli/Fryland is founded in a solid knowledge of the tradition of jazz. But the trio also encapsulates a fresh approach to this old musical form – resulting in a lyrical and melancholic, yet at the same time energetic and intense sound. During the past 6 years this trio has performed throughout Europe and in 2008 the trio both toured and recorded with legendary vibraphonist Teddy Charles, receiving great international acclaim by both the press and the public. On their debut CD “Prelude” compositions by the trio members as well as more familiar jazz repertoire are taken into treatment. Now this trio is back with their second album and a debut on Challenge Jazz: again an extraordinary jazz album!