- Australian trio Trichotomy present their 5th album, Known-Unknown, debut release on Challenge Records
- electronic sounds merge with acoustic improvisations
- inspired by Aphex Twin, Vijay Iyer, Tortoise, The Bad Plus, Pat Metheny, Brad Mehldau, Tord Gustavsen and Nik Bartsch
- vivid and bright, with an assured individual sound developed from a decade of playing as a group.
- “one of the most exiting trios in contemporary music” - All About Jazz
- EPK, online album documentary
The Australian trio Trichotomy returns with The Known and the Unknown on Challenge Records. In a distinct step into new territory electronic sounds merge with acoustic improvisations, while the complexity of their compositions and group improvisations are balanced by graceful melodies and rich harmonies. Vivid and bright, it is a compelling listen. Inspired by a diverse range of influences from Aphex Twin to Vijay Iyer, and Tortoise to The Bad Plus, trichotomy's music combines a dense rhythmic focus with the melodic clarity of a Pat Metheny, Brad Mehldau, or the modern European jazz of Tord Gustavsen and Nik Bartsch. Compositions often find a fine balance between heavily notated sections and completely free improvisations. The Knowna nd the Unknown is an apt description of the material the trio brought to the studio to record in 2016, but more importantly it is a representation of the push and pull within improvised music. The music cannot exist without both, and both must